Open call for public art students in Qatar museums
Dated: August 15, 2021 – September 5, 2021
12:00 p.m. – 11:59 p.m.
Price: It’s free – It’s free!
Telephone: +974 4452 5555
The Open Call for Qatar Museums Public Art Students invites students to submit a public art work to be created with recycled materials to raise awareness of the Qatar Museum’s ‘no waste’ policy for a temporary installation to be displayed in public spaces in Doha.
Students must be enrolled or have graduated within two years as a former student of any local school, university or college. Up to five winning proposals will be chosen and selected students will receive up to 25,000 QR to realize their concept by December 2021.
Theme: Reduce / Reuse / Recycle
This year’s open call encourages students to consider the materials they use and the impact of those materials. While the type of material to be used must be found from everyday materials and objects to create the sculptures, the theme of the sculpture itself is open. Students should think about the message they want to convey through their work.
Some renowned artists who work with recycled materials: Subodh Gupta, Guerra de la Paz, Yuken Teruya and Dotun Popoola.
Students should consider material selection, durability, foundation work, fabricators, and installation methods when finalizing a public art proposal. Students are also advised to view the nature of public works of art as works that are accessible and susceptible to being touched.
- Biography about yourself
- Design of the work
- Sketch or render of the proposal
- Materials you want to use
- The estimated cost of the work
- Manufacturing method / manufacturing company
- Students must be enrolled or have graduated within two years as a former student of any local school, university or college
- Students under the age of 18 can apply but must have a teacher or tutor responsible for them
- The student must come up with an idea using only recycled materials
- A proposal document including all the criteria indicated in the application form
- The idea of ââthe proposal must be less than 25,000 QAR
- Students must complete their proposal by December 2021 and consider installation and deinstallation logistics
Application deadline: September 5, 2021. Click here to complete the form.
Source and cover image: Qatar Museums